WHAT IS A DOULA?
Doulas provide support to mothers and families throughout pregnancy, birth and the postnatal time.
Doulas are usually women, experienced with and knowledgeable about pregnancy, childbirth & early parenting issues.
Doulas do not work in a medical capacity and they will not advise you what to do, but they can support you to find balanced information & feel empowered to make informed decisions about your maternity care.
There is evidence to show that having by having a doula you can:
- Reduce the risk of having a Caesarean birth
- Reduce the risk of having an instrumental birth
- Reduce the need for painkillers or epidural birth
- Reduce the rate of induction of labour
- Shorten your labour
- Increase the likelihood of initiating breastfeeding
- Increase the likelihood of successfully establishing breastfeeding and breastfeeding at 6 weeks
"If a doula were a drug, it would be unethical not to use it" Dr John Kennell